Online Editions

28th Jun, 2022

FOOTBALL - Rugby Town come from behind to secure eighth successive league win against Coventry Sphinx

RUGBY Town secured their eighth successive league win with a 3-1 victory against Coventry Sphinx as they moved up to third in the table.


Loyiso Recci, Jamal Clarke and David Kolodynski all struck for Rugby to overturn an early deficit after Callum Stewart’s penalty put Coventry ahead.


The result means Rugby are now third in the United Counties League Premier Division South table, eight points behind leaders Hinckley LRFC having played three more matches.


And Rugby started on the front foot when Barry Fitzharris’ fizzed a shot in from 20-yards out that was tipped behind by Coventry goalkeeper Tom Cross.


From the resulting corner both Kolodynski and Adam Shaw hit the upright, the former glancing a header off the woodwork before the latter’s rebound also struck the frame of the goal.


However, after Ash Bodycote made a smart save from Lewis Chester’s rising effort, Coventry would take the lead after nine minutes.


Former Town academy player Stewart scored from the penalty spot after James Hancocks had handled in the box.


The home side almost doubled their lead soon after when Stewart fired wide after being played clean through on goal with Chester and Harvey Smith also wayward.


Rugby responded with chances of their own as Max Johnson’s first time shot went over before Kolodynski’s header was saved.


And Valley eventually found their equaliser with a penalty of their own on 40 minutes when Recci stroked home after Danico Johnson was tripped in the area following a jinking run.


The away side almost went into the break with the lead after Kolodynski’s typically audacious volley at the far post was inches away in the final few seconds before half time.


Town dominated after the restart with M. Johnson’s rasping shot well-saved by Sphinx keeper Cross.


And Rugby took the lead on the hour mark when defender Clarke nodded the ball into the bottom corner after a corner was only half-cleared into the path of D. Johnson who produced a delightful cross.


Valley soon had their third goal when Kolodynski forced the ball home at the second attempt on 70 minutes from Shaw’s pass after the latter had missed a golden chance moments earlier.


Rugby could have added to their lead in the closing stages with Kolodynski’s volley blocked and substitute Dylan Parker going close as Valley closed out the match to secure an eighth straight win.


Town are next in action in a crunch home match against league leaders Hinckley LRFC on Saturday, January 8 with kick-off at 3pm at Butlin Road.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.