Online Editions

6th Jul, 2022

FOOTBALL - Rugby concede injury-time goal to drop points at Desborough

Aaron Sutcliffe 1st Mar, 2022 Updated: 2nd Mar, 2022

RUGBY TOWN conceded an injury-time goal to draw 2-2 with Desborough Town to drop their first points on the road since September.

Caine Elliott had twice given Valley the lead either side of half time only for Thomas Gudyer to snatch a point for the hosts deep into injury-time.

The result means Rugby remain fourth in the United Counties League Premier Division South table, as they look to leapfrog Newport Pagnell Town into third before the end of the season.

Valley’s assistant boss Justin Marsden deputised again for the suspended Carl Adams and watched goalkeeper Ash Bodycote make an early save to keep out Barnes Gladman’s effort.

And Rugby’s defence was called into action again soon after when Dan Summerfield did well to clear the danger after Bodycote had been rounded by Jake Bettles out wide.

However, it was Rugby who opened the scoring on 43 minutes when Elliott produced a composed finish from six-yards out from Danico Johnson’s square ball from the right.

Desborough pressed for an equaliser at the beginning of the second period with Bodycote forced to push away Bettles’ curling effort.

And the home side eventually equalised on 62 minutes when Thomas Mills headed in at the near post from Gladman’s cross.

The visitors almost restored their lead when Elliott surged through the middle of the Desborough defence before seeing his shot saved by home goalkeeper Chris Jones.

However, the hosts continued to find space in behind the makeshift Rugby defence with Gladman twice played through on goal only for Bodycote to deny him on both occasions.

At the other end, Josh Thomas had a header well-saved by Jones before Alex Lock struck the bar with a volley from the rebound.

And Valley then reclaimed the lead on 73 minutes when Elliott grabbed his second of the game with another cool finish to guide Danico Johnson’s cross from the left into the bottom corner.

Rugby were then given a golden chance to wrap up the points when Desborough keeper Jones was sin-binned for dissent having made a neat save low down to keep out Adam Shaw’s shot on the turn.

However, Valley were unable to make their advantage count and were denied a win in stoppage time when Gudyer nodded home after Bodycote was only able to parry Liam Boath’s shot.

Rugby are next in action away at Newport Pagnell Town on Saturday, March 5 with kick-off at 3pm at Willen Road.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Rugby Observer newspaper.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Rugby Observer.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.