Chip pan blaze breaks out in Rugby home - The Rugby Observer
Online Editions

12th Aug, 2022

Chip pan blaze breaks out in Rugby home

A BLAZE broke out in a Rugby home after a chip pan caught fire.

Crews from Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service quickly contained the fire on Wednesday (February 2), having dealt with a similar incident in Nuneaton two days previously.

The two incidents prompted a warning from fire bosses for residents to take care with chip pans.

Warwickshire County Council’s fire and rescue spokesman Coun Andy Crump said: “Kitchen fires can have devastating and tragic consequences. It’s fortunate that these fires did not spread and that no one was seriously injured.

“We know that chip pans can cause serious fires in households and residents should consider cooking oven chips, microwave chips or using a thermostat-controlled electric deep fryer for a much safer cooking experience.”

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service offered the following advice when using chip pans:

  • Do not leave chip pans unattended.
  • Do not fill a pan more than one-third full with oil
  • Do not use chip pans if you have been drinking alcohol
  • In the event of a chip pan fire, do not move the pan
  • If a pan is on fire, turn off the heat underneath the pan if it is safe to do so
  • Never throw water on a chip pan that is on fire – it can cause a fire explosion.

Visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/firesafety for more fire safety advice.

Subscribe

Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Rugby Observer.

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.